Saturday, March 31, 2012

Insight Missing!



The previous day I'd been on leave, just to complete mundane household tasks and before I knew, the day was gone..In the evening I at last was able to sit with 'Nucleotide Metabolism'..it's ironical that Biochemistry is one subject which needs reading revising updating every time one has to teach despite addition of experience each year (cannot say about others?)..Before I could start reading, guests poured in and later I had to take my son for the last day show of hindi movie, 'Agent Vinod'..as expected my post-movie head ache failed to co-operate in reading the chapter at night..So, forcibly had to put an alarm of four o' clock morning..
While I drove to the department next morning, I was pleased with my preparation with the topic as well as questions to be asked during the week-end tutorial. Twenty or so students were already seated in my chamber when I reached. They were waiting for me, and when I sat, I realized my chair was broken?
Now, there were ample of chairs in my room for all, and they had left the defective one for me? 
I had to leave the room and arrange proper chair for myself, and they all were there as mute spectators.
Yes, I scolded them for next ten minutes or so,, made them stand for more than half the duration of the tutorial, gave them lecture on morals and principles..blah-blah-blah..but the pain was intolerable to bear, especially from those students whom you've treated in a friendly manner, tried to make your classes interesting for them, allowed to discuss any time..the first thought that struck my mind was to give them straight away a zero and send them away..but then I reminded myself my own duty....The girls were able to answer questions, and none of the boys were prepared..Hours after I was thinking will I change my behavior towards my students from now on? Will I be able to enjoy teaching them as before with no prejudice? Is it because ragging has been banned in professional colleges?
No, I cannot react to such careless thoughtless act..I'll behave as if nothing happened, and even if they don't learn from today's incident. Who knows at least one of them remembers what I said to them..What if a patient is dying, will they not leave their seat and attend to him/her in future? Threatening needed at some stage, isn't it? Sorry to say, practical aspects missing in today's medical education scenario..
These will be the same students sending their parents or certain influential persons to lure during exams..The whole system stinks and one has to close eyes and work!
One thing is certain, Insight Missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment