Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caning not allowed

Last week was eventful both for me and the countrymen...
When the much awaited Common Wealth Games' magnificent opening show was making Indians say 'Jai Ho', Pakistani actors in the Big Boss show were causing sizzles in MNS and Shiv Sena front.
Rajni's costliest 'Robot' about the man, machine and love has made its presence felt both at the national and the international market and has surpassed other movies in bringing back monetary benefits.
Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation
Yeah...don't tell me, I seem like reviewing the headlines of the previous few days...I'm no news person, infact I lag much behind  in such matters...
Then there was news about the La Martiniere, Kolkata where the principal of the school was accused of using corporal punishment on a student. This matter has not yet been sorted out and as such there is no verdict yet. Sunirmal Chakravarti, the principal of La Martiniere for Boys, was arrested on October 04, 2010 by Kolkata Police on charges of assaulting of his student, Rouvanjit Rawla, a 13-year old class VIII student. Rawla had killed himself on February 12 2010, after being caned by the principal inside the school campus.
It's really unfortunate for such a thing to happen in one of the best rated schools of India. The schools offers an English-medium, all-round education from Nursery up to the Higher Secondary level. They are affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi, which conducts the ICSE and ISC Examinations at the close of Classes X and XII. The school motto is Labore et Constantia (by Labour and Constancy).
Such a description of school reminds me of my school days. I still remember the pin drop silence used to prevail in the campus when the Principal was on rounds. As my schooling was in different schools, mostly run by missionaries, we used to have 'Fathers' and 'Sisters'. Sometimes we used to hear about a notorious student being scolded or warned or may be caned for an ill deed for the sake of the maintenance of discipline of the school. As far as my memory tells me no one dared to take such step. 
I have a vivid memory of  being caned  once and sole time in my life when I was in VII standard. She was an English teacher, a 'Sister' who caned on both my palms with a straight ruler for not memorizing a ten page poem 'The Train'. I hated the poem for years and still remember the bruises on my hands. Was it so necessary to mug up that poem? I understood the meaning, the summary, was it not sufficient? I still not understand why our education system rewards 'muggers'? 
Then in our times, in medical college, during the first year we went through 'ragging' which was permissible by the faculty again for teaching respect for the seniors. How much respect it brought I have no idea, but lots of terror at the sight of a senior...yes indeed it did. There were certain incidences of suicides then in the news due to ragging in professional colleges...
Its a big relief now for both parents and students that ragging is banned by the Supreme Court of India otherwise many students used to run off  at the beginning of their promising careers...Still behind the curtains it exists and flourishes in milder form.
This debate is unending...but at heart of hearts we all want our kids to be happy, cheerful and enjoy life. Let no pressure cause stress in their minds, and creativity flow to make them realize their own unbeaten path. Let Love prevail, it will find the solutions...

No comments:

Post a Comment