Monday, October 25, 2010

My Hut


It was a sight worth watching. Kukkoo was admiring his elder brother's colorful drawing, trying to grab it saying "da-da-da-da". 
Suddenly my thoughts were roaming around  those days when life seemed so simple; days were bright and beautiful, nights were meant for grandma's stories followed by dreamless ten hour' sleep. 
During my childhood days when someone asked me about my favorite subject, 'drawing' was an instant, unthoughtful reply from my side. 
The passion was sometimes in its most exaggerated form which made me forget everything else around me...I used to turn deaf to innumerable calls for the meals...The more engrossed I was in sketching a beautiful scene, the more reason I gave my parents to worry about my casual attitude towards the rest of  subjects. 
As I grew older, my interest got limited to participating in painting contests without much practice, moreover each higher class imposed more responsibility to finish the syllabus.
I still have a clear memory of the first scenery I drew in the kindergarten. There was a hut with smoke coming out of a chimney, trees, flowers, green grass, flying birds , ducks swimming in a small pond, a girl with two braided tails tied with  red ribbons  holding basket full of different colorful flowers...and I simply adored the finished product..
Saturdays were colorful as we were allowed to wear our casual dresses and no compulsion to wear school uniform. It symbolized our share of small freedom. We had 'crafts' period that day. My first school was Carmel Convent High School, Mahanagar, Lucknow. We were given a yellow colored square cloth to fold the edges with the 'running stitch'. It was my first introduction to the 'sewing world'.
During summer vacations, when siblings and mother used to visit "Nani's" (maternal grand mother's) house, she taught me many more stitches. Those were the best days of my life. There comes a nostalgic element with them. There is still a hidden passion for creativity but now times are different...I start a project with full zeal but it takes years to complete.
I'll share some of my unfinished projects with you all in the days to come, may be I'll get enough motivation to complete them some day!
Good Night and Sweet Dreams from this part of the Globe!




No comments:

Post a Comment