Friday, February 17, 2012

A love or hate affair?


Standing outside the Head's chamber baffled with a hurriedly  hand written application for an urgent need of three days' casual leave, all the way my nerves underwent a constant struggle about how much I'll be required in my absence? It seemed quite a daring deed. 
Subconsciously and consciously both, I suggested myself, 'Hardly matters!'; Yes, hardly matters when needs are weighed and balanced. Too much torture for a small brain in hubby's absence to manage everything on my own, and when luxury of leaves still pending, why not splurge in it. I know, June's still far away, and I may need leaves in the mean time..anyways, this was not the main point of today's post. Still I cannot resist myself from mentioning last minute panic preparations of class tests and late night management of blubbering reminiscences of my father bonded children.
At last I was successful in grabbing some 'my time' at the end of a hectic day. And the first thing that I wished was to search PubMed for some latest articles.
 Anyways, soon I painfully realized that my limited attention span failed to dig anything worthwhile, which led me to read a random article. 
Here are certain points worth mentioning, endure a bit of boring reading.. 
Human beings are hosts to trillions of microorganisms which are considered to be our extended self living peacefully with us, also known as symbionts. Although born germ free, we acquire microbes at birth when they start colonizing  our mucous membranes and skin epithelium, even outnumbering ten times our body's own cells. The gastrointestinal tract has the greatest density and diversity of microbes. The human microbial flora is not a constant entity, but changes its character and complexity over time in response to environmental factors such as diet, antibiotic exposure and stress.
Our existence is critically dependent on these microbes and their colonization. These microorganisms perform numerous metabolic tasks like vitamins synthesis (esp. vitamin K), breaking down of complex polysaccharides and altering drug metabolism and bioavailability.
This mutual association is essential for the maturation of our immune system, maintenance of intestinal epithelial barrier and resistance to colonization with pathogens. Now the question arises, if the symbiotic relationship and its balance is disturbed, then what harm can ensue?
Well, the article stressed particular species of bacteria activate immune system and induce inflammatory bowel disease but also organ specific autoimmune diseases at sites distal to gastrointestinal tract, like brain.
Multiple Sclerosis is a disease affecting nervous system, in which myelin structures suffer an autoimmune attack by self-reactive lymphocytes, which are normal components of the healthy immune system. Now, these gut associated microbes have been found to induce central nervous system (CNS) immunity. The gut associated microbes affect local as well as systemic immune system. 
That seems interesting, the commensal gut flora in the doldrums of a love or hate affair..Can you think of any more examples..If you find some more, do suggest!
Last time when did you catch hold of your child eating mud? 
Well,...never? 
Then I must say, you're one of the luckiest parents!


No comments:

Post a Comment