Wednesday, February 1, 2012

PROSTAGLANDINS versus POST-GRADUATES?!!!



I wondered if any of my students realized how much effort a teacher has to put to prepare their lecture, as I had last minute reading of power point slides that I had painstakingly prepared last night. To add flavor and interest even tried my hands on animation (whatever limited skill I possess)..still before entering the lecture theater I was as apprehensive as an examinee is before entering an examination hall. Thanks to this era of multi-media, every necessary point is jotted down, despite of course a reminder at the back of mind that slides should'nt be crowded with words, just points to be stressed and the rest to be explained in the class....the colorful diagrams and related videos have brought a revolution in teaching strategies. 
I still remember in our times, when a teacher used to explain with a chalk on blackboard and knowledge was on their tips (not applicable to all, of course)..today we've white boards with marker pens..That day I was cursing these markers, because not one worked when I was in dire need and had to wait for minutes before the new one was arranged..I really remembered dear blackboards then..It's another story if some complain regarding the chalk dust which fells spoiling their well groomed hair and also, in case some have an allergy to it.
At last, my second and final lecture on Prostaglandins and Leukotienes attained completion without any major or minor setbacks..As I spoke " PGs have very short half life~1 min", the whole class burst into laughter, and it took me a few seconds to realize when my eyes fell on front row seated post-graduates who couldn't help but sheepishly smile..The damage was done, and my senses helplessly knew that I cannot defend them saying they've long  half life  (why torture them by increasing their half lives from their exact life of three years!)..As I mused on an apt answer, my eyes caught sight of a guy looking back..and by the time I could change my mind, I had committed enough blunder, saying, "what makes you turn when there are no girls even?" 
Not to mention, it's not an easy job to maintain a balance between humor and discipline among two hundred or so students at the same time in a dimly lit lecture theater, gaining their attention and interest throughout the lecture span of an hour.
More to share..
Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment